Following the report of boat mishap in Anambra West LGA, Anambra State, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) South East Zone in collaboration with Anambra State Emergency Management Agency NEMA (ANSEMA), and Anambra West Local Government Authority on Tuesday January 10th 2024 visited the area to conduct assessment, visit the injured, commiserate with the bereaved families and to make appropriate recommendations.
The joint team met with the Nnalue family members from Mmiata Anam who lost their Two (2) sons and equally had virtual meeting with Alhaji Suleiman the CSO National Inland Waterway Authority, Onitsha, Anambra State
• The boat mishap occurred on 4th January 2024 around 7am in the morning
• The incident happened at Umumu Anam, Anambra West LGA, Anambra State.
• The boat was carrying about 44 passengers who were traveling from Idah in Kogi State to Onitsha in Anambra State.
• Goods such as yams, rice, potato, onions, okro etc., were also carried in the boat
• 8 lives were lost while 36 people were rescued
• The rescued passengers have all left back to their destinations after first aid and counseling
• One of the passenger, Mrs Gloria Nnalue; from Anam in Anambra West LGA lost her Two (2) sons who have been buried. They are Aged 12 and 10 years respectively
• The affected boat is still under the water as at the time of this report
• The cause of the boat mishap could be attributed to:(a) fatigue as the driver drove all through the night (b) presence of log/debris in the waterways (c)hit an unexpected/hidden object with force and capsized.
• The bereaved family appreciated the three tiers of government (Federal, State and Local Government) for their support