Department of Search and Rescue
The Department of Search and Rescue (SAR) is charged with the responsibilities of prompt and efficient coordination of search and rescue activities during disasters. It also put in place adequate preparedness measures, towards effective and efficient management of disasters in the country.
The Department is responsible for the followings:
- Coordinating Search and Rescue (SAR) activities for disasters in Nigeria.
- Ensuring the provision of adequate communication networks with a redundancy for in-country disaster management.
- Coordinating the activities of the COSPAS-SARSAT,Nigerian Mission Control Centre (NMCC).
- Advising the DG on technical matters relating to acquiring specialized equipment
- Public Safety and information during Search and Rescue Operations.
The Department is structured into two different divisions and three units;
Major functions/responsibilities of the Department are as follows:
- The Operations Division
- Assessment of both natural and man-made disasters;
- The Communications Division
- The Mission Control Centre (MCC).
- NEMA Airwing
- Nursing Unit